Sunday, April 12, 2009

A little bit of background on the truck...

Her point of view

Well...my perspective on this truck is a little different. My dad has always had older trucks. I remember one we had that we called "white cloud". It was a 1970's model old GM/Chevy. I know, I know. It's blasphemy that I can't remember what it was. I'll chalk it up to me being a girl and that's that. When dad brought home this 1978 Ford it was really no big deal.
Although I was getting to be of driving age and my grandmother had called to tell me that dad bought a NEW truck. She said this truck would be perfect. You could drive it around. Now I'm a good ole' southern girl-I love trucks. So this didn't bother me. Then came the "surprise".
I assumed it was a NEW truck, when that big, green machine came rolling up the driveway I was like...what the???? I wouldn't be caught dead in that big old piece of metal! I did learn to drive it. The only problem I had was keeping that wide thing between the lines. It took a while, but I finally learned when I was over the center line. Good grief that thing is wide.
As I grew older and learned a little more about this truck, I came to love it. I love the fact that the bright lights have to be turned on via your left foot (on the floorboard). I have lots of fond memories of loading up friends and dogs and pulling the boat to the lake. I felt safe in it. I hate to be cliche' but "they don't make em' like that anymore."
One of my fonder memories was when dad had to change the ignition switch. He was getting mad and yelling because he read the instructions, got the old one out, but couldn't get the new one in. That's where I come in. You'd really have to know my family. We're loud and obnoxious and there's always a contest going on. Whether it's a game of Scattergories, discussions about politics or football, we are always in the midst of something. I asked dad to let me try. He said no I've tried and it's not working. I'll just have to deal with it later...enter ME! After about 20 minutes of messing with it, I had it fixed, the truck started up and off we went. Ahhhhh.....I couldn't help but brag about that one! Ha Ha!
I also spent time under the hood repairing hoses. That's one of the things I like about these old American trucks. There's not a lot of wires and crap. You can look and see what needs to be fixed and there's room to fix it. Now I'm no mechanic and I have zero experience. It was all about spending time with dad. He was working on it and as I got older I wanted to keep that "daddy's girl" relationship. Heck I'm 31 years old and I still cuddle up to dad on the couch. Now it's usually with kids, grandkids and everyone else, but I'm proud that I'm still Daddy's girl.
Now the truck is 31 years old. When the husband asked me if dad would want to part with it, I thought why? It's old and deteriorating. But Mike loved it. So I entertained him. So here we are...off on an adventure. Hopefully I won't have to "hurt" him!



No comments:

Post a Comment