Sunday, April 19, 2009

I have seen the enemy...

His point of view


...and it is not kind. If it is too good to be true, then it is. (Insert cliche of your choice, here) I have finally run into the projects first serious issue. I mean, aside from the motor that has seen better days, the steering gear that leaks fluid as fast as you can poor it in or the transmission/rear-end that clunks. It's the four letter word that all auto project builder enthusiast dread. RUST!

The weather this week has been less than conducive to working on the project so I didn't get to work on the project as much as I would have liked. Last week I got most of the ancillary external stuff done, it was time to get started on the interior. First on the list, see whats under the vinyl flooring. that's when it happened. I was surprised I didn't have to pull the seat out, turns out the vinyl only covers the front have of the cab. Turns out, that may have been a blessing. Pull the vinyl back, and what do I see..... Insulation... and lots of it. SOAKING WET!!!! Rut-ro shaggy. What the krap?!?! It hasn't rain in at least 3 days. Even still, the seals on the door jam are still decent. Why is the insulation wet? And why is it red....shouldn't it be at least, slightly gray. That's it, I'm going in. I grab a hand full of sloppy, soggy, squashy insulation. And what to my amazement do I find? That’s right, it’s true. It’s ok, you can say it. Rust! And I don’t mean slightly discolored section of body rust. Or the scaly rust that flakes off when you pick at it. No I mean, full on, bonafide, swiss cheese, eat through your gym shorts, RUST! This is not good! I mean, really not good.

Digging that seat cover aren't ya!


Looks like the swiss variety is mostly contained to the driver side floor pan. However the passenger side floor pan may need its own surgery.






Other items on the list this week are the head liner, bench seat and other miscellaneous items. I was excited to see that the head liner was in very good shape and could be reused. However it is made of cardboard and I think I can come up with something a little better. Besides, I have plans!
Hit that line, Hit that line, keep on going.....


The lens of the cab light, literally crumbled to pieces in my hand.






Looking pretty bare in there.



I thought that I might get my parking spot back in the garage. I couldn't be more wrong. That spot is now occupied by the bench seat. I haven't figured out where i'm going to put this thing yet. I think I'll just break it down and hang the pieces on the wall. It's going to get a new cover anyway!

It's at this point that things start getting pretty scary for me. I think the next thing to tackle is the dashboard. Bunch of wires in there and a bunch of things I don't know a whole lot about.

See you guys next week!
Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

No comments:

Post a Comment